Who: Anyone who wants to learn about the handling of a canoe. All ages and abilities. Taught by Bill Sanderson, a seasoned canoeist who has navigated the Minnesota/ Canadian Boundary Waters for over 50 years. He is the author of Getting the Wilderness in You, which documents these trips.
- Getting in and out, and launching a canoe.
- How to paddle, forward, backward, sideways.
- Types of strokes, and seating options.
- Stabilizing, capsizing, and recovering.
- Paddling on flat water, waves, wind, and rapids.
- Anchoring, lining, weather, and wind direction.
- Packing and portaging.
- Tips for Kayaking
When: June 10th 9:30am- 1:30 pm
Where: Mohican Sailing Club
Why: Learning to master the handling of a canoe can provide you with hours of pleasant time outdoors and on the water. The quiet moments of clipping along on a sunny day enjoying the beauty of nature and mastering the ability to get to your destination efficiently, provides you with great satisfaction and enjoyment.